Welcome to CFTE’s guide to navigate the in’s and out’s of the largest Fintech festival in the World based out of Singapore.
Singapore Fintech Festival 2021 is focused on the emergence of Web 3.0 and its impact on the future of financial services. Designing, building and maintaining sustainable financial services on Web 3.0 that meets the needs of an increasingly globalised marketplace.
Over 45 sessions run by leading academics, practitioners and thought leaders related to the strategy, trends and technical knowledge required to thrive within this space. This year, there is a brand new event platform with the ability to personalise your SFF 2021 experience according to your needs and to ensure you acquire any accredited qualifications as part of your continuing professional development.
Don’t miss the opportunity to watch the Singapore Fintech Festival and earn a specialised certificate in Web 3.0 knowledge in Financial Services.
To attend the Singapore Fintech Festival 2021 – click fintechfestival.sg and register now to avoid losing your place. For those associated with educational institutions, public agencies and non-profit organisations you can obtain free online SFF access once you register. The dates for the Singapore Fintech Festival are 8th to 12th November 2021.
What to attend at Singapore Fintech Festival 2021?
Monday 8th November, 2021: Designing Financial Services
8th November (Designing Financial Services) starts the week off with a market-changing impact series based around the rapidly emerging decentralised financial products. The foundational firesides are on the application of financial services in capital markets, insurance, asset management, consumer banking and wholesale banking. After the core strategy sessions, the deep dive sessions are about the impact of web 3.0 in two distinct sectors; consumer banking and the insurance/pension market.
Top sessions to attend on the 8th November for Core Strategy
- Market-Changing Impact Series: Decentralised Financial Products with Balaji Srinivasan, Former Chief Technology Officer at Coinbase and Partner at a16z (Moderated by Sopenudu Mohanty, Chief FinTech Officer, Monetary Authority of Singapore) – 08:30am (SGT) – 00:30am (GMT)
- Insurance with Mike Wells, Group Chief Executive, Prudential – 09:20am (SGT) – 01:20am (GMT)
- Wholesale Banking with Takis Georgakopoulos, Managing Director, J.P. Morgan and Tan Su Shan, Group Head of Institutional Banking, DBS – 10:35am (SGT) – 02:35am (GMT)
- Realising the Value of Blockchain in Financial Services with Pradyumna Agrawal, Managing Director, Investment (Blockchain) from Temasek and Jeremy Kranz, Managing Director, GIC – 11:00am (SGT) – 03:00am (GMT)
Top sessions to attend on the 8th November for Deep Dive
- Web 3.0 in Insurance/Pension Market with Jonathan Larsen, Chief Innovation Officer, Ping An Group Hugh Karp, Founder, Nexus Mutual Annabelle Kwok, Director, Head of Data and Analytics (Asia), Prudential – 03:00pm (SGT) – 07:00am (GMT)
- Web 3.0 in Corporate/Investment Banking with Umar Farooq, Chief Executive Officer, Onyx by JP Morgan and Robert Leshnar, Chief Executive Officer, Compound – 03:30pm (SGT) – 07:30am (GMT)
- Driving New Commercial and Partnership Models with Embedded Finance delivered by Dhivya Suryadevara, Chief Financial Officer, Stripe – 04:20pm (SGT) – 08:20am (GMT)
- Decentralised Finance: Redefining the Architecture with Stani Kulechov, Founder & Chief Executive Officer, Aave, Sergey Nazarov, Co-Founder, Chainlink and Rene Reinsberg, Chief Executive Officer & Co-Founder, Celo – 04:40pm (SGT) – 08:40am (GMT)
Tuesday 9th November, 2021: Building Financial Services
9th November (Building Financial Services) – The core strategy sessions are focused on building a web 3.0 tech stack for the future. It involves understanding what it takes to build the value exchange layer of the internet with 4 foundational firesides around distributed ledger technology, AI, machine learning, IoT, 5G and quantum computing.
The deep dive sessions to end the day surround building and embedding responsible AI- namely reference architecture, model choices, evaluation criteria, managing bias and data. To complete the deep dive- there’s a final look at the adoption of quantum technology and its relevance to financial services alongside the cybersecurity implications.
Top sessions to attend on the 9th November 2021 for Core Strategy
- The Future of Money with Dr Neha Narula, Director of Digital Currency Initiative, Massachusetts Institute of Technology – 07:30am (SGT) – 23:30pm (GMT)
- Market-changing Impact Series: Building the Value Exchange Layer of the Internet with Vitalik Buterin, Ethereum Founder, Ethereum Foundation and Raoul Paul, Co-Founder & Chief Executive Officer, Real Vision – 08:55am (SGT) – 00:55am (GMT)
- Quantum Computing with Dr Alan Baratz, President & Chief Executive Officer, D-Wave Systems – 10:40am (SGT) – 02:40am (GMT)
- 5G with Chuck Robbins, Chief Executive Officer, Cisco – 10:20am (SGT) – 02:20am (GMT)
Top sessions to attend on the 9th November 2021 for Deep Dive
- Building and Embedding Responsible AI with Dr Lachlan McCalman, Chief Practitioner, Gradient Institute Shameek Kundu, Head of Financial Services, Truera, Professor Mohan Kankanhalli, Professor, National University of Singapore, Professor Steven Miller, Professor Emeritus of Information Systems, Hybrid Intelligence Advisory – 01:30pm (SGT) – 05:30am (GMT)
- Adopting Quantum Technology with Dr Bob Sutor, Chief Quantum Exponent, IBM Moderators: Dr Yvonne Gao, Assistant Professor, National University of Singapore, Centre for Quantum Technologies – 02:45pm (SGT) – 06:45am (GMT)
- DLT Networks Deployed and In Production with Carl Wegner, Chief Executive Officer, Contour, Richard Brown, Chief Technology Officer, R3c Moderator: Alan Lim, Head, FinTech Infrastructure Office, Monetary Authority of Singapore – 03:35pm (SGT) – 07:35am (GMT)
- In Conversation with Al Kelly with Alfred F. Kelly, Jr., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Visa – 06:35pm (SGT) – 10:35am (GMT)
Wednesday 10th November, 2021: Sustainable Financial Services
10th November (Sustainable Financial Services)- The core strategy sessions are based around sustainability in travel, food, and carbon sequestration. This will be followed by a sustainable finance impact panel series looking at impact investing, financing, insurance and measurement.
To finish the week’s strategy sessions there’s a G20 series: 2021 presidency. The deep dive sessions surround technology for sustainability such as renewable energy, carbon sequestration, battery and waste management technology. This coincides well with the final topics looking at green data, innovation for sustainability and new investment instruments like crypto and tokenised instruments.
Top sessions to attend on the 10th November 2021 for Core Strategy
- Impact Investing with Stephen Bird, Chief Executive Officer, abrdn plc and Lisa Genasci, Chief Executive Officer, ADM Capital Foundation – 09:20am (SGT) – 01:20am (GMT)
- G20 Series: 2021 Presidency Fireside Chat with Bank of Italy Governor Ignazio Visco Governor, Bank of Italy – 10:45am (SGT) – 02:45am (GMT)
- Marketing-changing Impact Series: In Conversation with Global CEOs 1. Sustainable Travel: Reinventing the Way We Travel 2. Sustainable Food: Responsible Food Production and Consumption 3. Sustainable World: Revitalising the World Through Carbon Sequestration – 08:20am (SGT) – 00:20am (GMT)
Top sessions to attend on the 10th November 2021 for Deep Dive
- New Investment Instruments with Darius Sit, Co-Founder & Chief Information Officer, QCP Capital, Sam Bankman-Fried, Founder & Chief Executive Officer, FTX Moderator: Michael Casey, Chief Content Officer, CoinDesk – 11:30am (SGT) – 03:30am (GMT)
- Unicorn Case Studies in FinTech with Jefferson Chen, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Advance Intelligence Group and Niraan de Silva, Chief Executive Officer, VNLIFE – 12:00pm (SGT) – 04:00am (GMT)
- Embedded Finance Case Study with Rachmat Kaimuddin, Chief Executive Officer, Bukalapak and Prajit Nanu, Co-Founder & CEO, NIUM – 12:30pm (SGT) – 04:30am (GMT)
- Sustainable Finance Impact Panel Series: Impact Measurement with Professor Jeff Obbard, Head of Climate Science Research Programme Office, Centre for Climate Research Singapore, Centre for Climate Research Singapore, Ministry of Sustainability & Environment – 02:50pm (SGT) – 06:50am (GMT)
- Investors’ Spotlight on LATAM: The World’s Fastest Growing Market with Carlos Garcia, Chief Executive Officer & Co-Founder, Kavak and Hernan Kazah, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, KASZEK – 05:00pm (SGT) – 09:00am (GMT)
- The Evolution of Venture Capital: Global Learnings for SEA with Helen Wong, Founding Managing Partner, QR Ventures and Koh Tuck Lye, Founding Partner & Chief Executive Officer, Shunwei Capital Moderator: Nikhilesh Goel, Co-Founder & Group Chief Executive Officer, Validus – 05:25pm (SGT) – 09:25am (GMT)
- Deal Makers’ Perspectives: Path from Venture, Growth to Exit with Gan Wee Leong, Head of Equities ASEAN, China Renaissance, Arnaud Granger, Chief Executive Officer, Managing Director & Head of Southeast Asia, Greenhill & Co. Asia (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. – 06:20pm (SGT) – 10:20am (GMT)
11th and 12th November 2021
To finish the week of learning; Oxygen by APIX, will provide advanced digital courses and masterclasses. This is followed by a deep dive into specific countries like the Philippines and India as part of the World Fintech Festival. Alongside this, you will be able to access the innovation lab crawl, deal making activities, deal Fridays and the roundtables.
What is Oxygen?
- Oxygen by APIX an up skilling platform for financial institutions, FinTechs and tech enthusiasts with carefully curated masterclasses, panels, podcasts and research content from industry experts dedicated to promoting worldwide knowledge sharing.
A breakdown of different stages and sections at Singapore Fintech Festival 2021:
Green Shoots is a collection of online discussions where leading speakers across the planet share their practical insights and stories on the most topical issues facing financial services, public policy and technology. It’s a great way for individuals of any experience and skill level to gain a greater understanding of Fintech and the individuals that work within this space.
Deal Fridays is an opportunity that has been generously organised by the Monetary Authority of Singapore and Enterprise Singapore- they intend to provide year-long, end to end support for start-ups, investors and organisations to increase commercial success through investment deals, collaboration opportunities and partnerships.
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) launched the MAS Global FinTech Hackcelerator which seeks to identify and recognise ground-breaking solutions that can enable the financial sector to respond to the existential challenge of our time – climate change.
Who can enter the Global Fintech Hackcelerator?
The Global FinTech Hackcelerator is open to all start-ups with a market-ready product. Winners will walk away with a total cash prize of S$150,000, and the chance to conduct a Proof-of-Concept with a Singapore-based Financial Institution with up to S$200,000 from MAS’ FSTI Proof-of-Concept grant.
This year’s Global FinTech Hackcelerator focuses on Green Finance and the role of Green FinTechs in the ecosystem.
On the 11th and 12th of November Innovation Labs will open their doors and showcase their up-and-coming FinTech innovations through prepared tours, exhibitions and talks, in physical, hybrid and virtual formats. The Innovation Lab Crawl schedule will be released in late October, so get your SFF pass now to catch all the updates.
The Talent Pavilion is a part of the Singapore Fintech Festival with an array of events, job opportunities, upskilling and reskilling courses over the course 5 days, from 7-11 December 2020.
You will have a chance to explore what the Fintech space is about through live events, panel discussions and chats with Fintech founders.
Under Career Support, you will be able to discover what government initiatives (e.g. grants, subsidies, programmes etc) that can help you pivot your career or excel your career in the Fintech space. From the 7 – 8 December, explore new job opportunities in the Virtual Career Fair and speak with potential employers.
SFF Global Fintech Awards are the highest achievement for any Fintech innovation. This year’s theme is “Emerging from a pandemic, the road to recovery”. Both a relevant and useful theme where these awards will recognise Fintech initiatives that contribute to new growth opportunities, greater financial inclusion amid the circumstances surrounding Covid-19. This year, it’s about rewarding the Fintech Innovations that are helping to alleviate the global suffering caused by Covid. This year’s award is supported by PwC Singapore. There are a total of 12 award categories.
What are the different awards available?
For corporates- Singapore Fintech (Singapore Founder), ASEAN Fintech, Singapore Financial Institution and Global Award
FinTech Employer of the Year, Partners of Fintech, Social Impact Award, Knowledge Enterprise Award
For Individuals- Top 10 Fintech Leaders, ASEAN Fintech Leaders, Women in Fintech, FinTech Leaders under 30
Who are the Singapore FinTech Festival 2021 Speakers?
The Singapore Fintech Festival hosts globally renowned speakers from some of the largest technology, financial services and investment organisations in the World. The likes of IBM, Bank of Italy, Stripe and Paypal will be letting their C-level executives and brilliant talent speak at the event to help provide attendees with a taste of the future of financial services.
Chief Executive Officer
Michael Miebach, President of Mastercard, is responsible for overseeing the sales, marketing, products, services, and technology organisations for the company. Mastercard’s Board unanimously elected Michael to succeed Ajay Banga as Chief Executive Officer on January 1, 2021.
Former Chief Technology Officer of Coinbase & General Partner at a16z
Balaji S. Srinivasan is currently angel investing and taking some time off. Formerly the CTO of Coinbase and General Partner at Andreessen Horowitz, he was also the cofounder of Earn.com (acquired by Coinbase), Teleport (acquired by Topia), and Coin Center.
How to get the Web 3.0 Certificate at Singapore Fintech Festival?
Web 3.0 Certificate Module 1
8th November is about designing financial services through web 3.0- this day focuses on the tokenisation of financial products, business payment transformation, capital market infrastructure and the impact on operations. It would be greatly useful for those involved in investment and corporate banking. The latter half of the day is focused on global trends panels; where experts discuss business models within embedded finance, decentralised finance, next-gen payment infrastructure and the need for a multi-jurisdictional SME platform namely in Asia and Africa. Everyday is finished with a guest of honour and a sponsored networking event to ensure you are able to build strong, cohesive and useful networks within the industry.
Web 3.0 Certificate Module 2
9th November surrounds the processes around building financial services specifically around DLT networks. Considering public and private DLTs, the designing of decentralised finance technologies using DLT and implementing DAPPS alongside the cybersecurity considerations required to build web 3.0 financial services. Once you finish learning, you will learn about the following global trends; digital currencies and their global adoption, web 3.0 layers for SMEs, building greener ai and its impact on the environment, the state of quantum technology and DLT gaining mainstream technology status. Once these discussions are complete, you’ll be in store for another guest of honour.
Web 3.0 Certificate Module 3
10th November makes up the final module on sustainable financial services- this is specially taught using Fintech unicorn case studies to understand the scaling considerations, processes, deployment of funds, hiring and culture. This provides learners with real life examples to substantiate their learning. The trends panel focuses on the trends of the largest markets (US and China), the investor’s spotlight on LATAM, the evolution of venture capital and the path to net-zero emissions. This lively discussion will be again followed by the final guest of honour.