As one of the largest Fintech hubs globally, Singapore continues to show great initiatives to both support players in the industry and to promote innovation and competition from digital banks and Fintech startups.
Thanks to measures taken by governmental institutions and the collective Fintech community, Singapore continues to lead and set even higher standards for other hubs worldwide. Initiatives such as the MAS Green Finance Investments Plan, where up to US$2 billion will be invested in public market green strategies, or the internationally acclaimed Singapore Fintech Festival, with 60,000 participants and over 550 speakers in 2019, can give you a small glimpse as to why Singapore is ahead.
With the accelerating disruption evidenced by new Fintech companies and innovative projects within traditional banks, an increasingly high number of finance professionals are seeking to expand their knowledge on all things Fintech. Here’s a list of some of the best Fintech courses to take in Singapore this 2021:
1. CFTE – Fintech Foundation Course
The Fintech Foundation Course is an introductory course to learn about Fintech and digital finance from CFTE: the Centre for Finance, Technology and Entrepreneurship. It targets finance professionals, entrepreneurs, and technologists – both company-sponsored individuals and/or self-sponsored individuals. It has been designed in collaboration with 4 senior lecturers and 16 industry experts from across finance, to give a comprehensive breakdown of main Fintech trends in a simple and concise way.
- Taught in an easy-to-digest manner by 4 senior Fintech lecturers who have lectured at Singapore Management University, Imperial College London, Oxford University and The University of Hong Kong.
- Industry insights from 16 top experts working in Fintech, including the Global Head of Bank Research at Citi, Global Head of Innovation at HSBC, CEO of Ping An Technology, and many more.
- The course is accredited by the Institute of Banking and Finance in Singapore (IBF), as well as ACT and CPD in the UK.
- Be part of a global community of over 70,000 professionals and entrepreneurs.
- Online events and free online lessons with key people in FinTech to stay updated.
- Huy Nguyen Trieu (CEO – The Disruptive Group | Co-Founder – CFTE | Associate Fellow – the University of Oxford)
- Andrei Kirilenko (Director – Centre for Global Finance and Technology | Imperial College London)
- Janos Barberis (Founder – Supercharger | Head of Entrepreneurship – CFTE | Research Fellow – Hong Kong University)
- Dan Liebau (Founder – Lightbulb Capital | Instructor Fintech & Innovation – Singapore Management University)
- 40,000+ Learners Enrolled
- 4 Senior Academics
- 16 Fintech Guest Experts
Cost: SGD 28.89 for all Singaporean citizens and PRs, thanks to the IBF Standards Training Scheme (IBF-STS) which provides an extensive 95% subsidy to company-sponsored individuals and self-sponsored individuals. FREE as you claim the remaining amount with your Skillsfuture credit.
Certificate: CPD Accredited Certificate of Completion, IBF Accredited
- Course Format: 100% Online
- Course Access: 6 months access to content from the start date
- Course Model: Instructor-Led
2. CFTE – Fintech 360 Programme
Summary: The Fintech 360 Programme by CFTE is an online course designed for those hungry to learn, but with little time to spare. The programme is perfect for anyone from students, financial professionals, non-techies and those looking to learn more about fintech. Fintech 360 helps one build a fundamental understanding of financial technology with short 15-minute daily courses to fit the learner’s busy schedules. The programme will cover topics from Fintech, Payments, AI, Open Banking and RegTech, through a variety of formats, whether it be video lessons, interviews with experts, quizzes, real-life case studies or reading material.
- Bite-sized Courses: You can easily fit in 15 minute bite-sized courses into your your busy daily schedule
- Learn form top executives: You will gain knowledge directly from leading experts like Anne Boden, CEO of Starling Bank, Rob Frohwein, CEO & Co-Founder of Kabbage, Jean-Philippe Desbiolles, Global VP for Data, Cognitive & AI at IBM, among other leading experts.
- Gain all-rounder Knowledge: This programme will help you cover all the fundamentals of Fintech, AI in Finance, Open Banking, Payments, and RegTech
- Learn to apply technologies on real projects: The course will help you build the right skills to identify the technologies that influence the provision of fintech and financial services, and be able to confidently apply such technologies appropriately and effectively
- Detailed case studies: Be able to evaluate the applications of technology in financial services through relevant and detailed case studies
- Anne Boden, CEO of Starling Bank
- Rob Frohwein, CEO & Co-Founder of Kabbage
- Jean-Philippe Desbiolles, Global VP for Data, Cognitive & AI at IBM
- Shameek Kundu, Former Chief Data Officer at Standard Chartered and Head of FS & Chief Strategy Officer at Truera
- Ayesha Khanna, Founder & CEO of ADDO AI
- Mellisa Guzy, Co-Founder and Managing Partner at Arbor Ventures
Cost: Start learning for free with a 7-day Free Trial on CFTE’s THINK platform
Certificate: On successful completion, you will receive a sharable badge that certifies the completion of the course
- Online self-paced with 30 days worth of learning content.
- On starting the programme unlock bite-sized 15-mins videos everyday.
- Go beyond traditional learning by interacting with experts and learners with forums and discussions.
3. SMU Academy – FinTech: The Future of Money, Markets and Banking
This 2-day module will help learners understand how a design mindset can help to create new value in the ﬁnancial services sector. Participants will be able to study new technologies that are shaping FinTech business models, and how these models can be set up within regulated finance organisations. It offers fundamentals of Design Thinking to be applied to creative problem solving. This module forms part of the SMU-CPA Australia Finance Game Changer Series.
Advantages: Participants will be able to earn 14 CPD Points awarded by CPA Australia when they attend this module
- Daniel Liebau, Founder of Lightbulb Capital
- Derek Ariss, Head of Innovation Education at Lightbulb Capital
- Andrea Hadju-Howe; Partner, Antler
- Alexandre Kelch; CEO, Onchain
- Zennon Kapron; Founder, KapronAsia
Cost: SGD2140.00* (as low as SGD242.00* after maximum funding)
Certificate: Certificate of Participation issued by Singapore Management University
4. NUS – Leveraging Fintech for Business
This executive program will cover topics from emerging technologies to business model innovations, advanced analytics and digital strategies. You will acquire a better understanding of the rapidly evolving Fintech landscape and how new technology can impact pre-existing business models, through seminars, discussions, and case studies.
Advantages: Presential classes and designed for leaders and managers in financial institutions and related organisations
- Jai Arya, Advisor to the Dean, NUS Business School
- Jussi Keppo, Associate Professor and Dean’s Chair, Analytics & Operations; Research Director, Institute of Operations Research and Analytics
- Neo Kok Beng, Adjunct Associate Professor, Marketing
- Tuan Q. Phan, Assistant Professor, Information Systems, School of Computing
- Ernie Teo, Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Dept of Analytics & Operations, School of Business, NUS
- Chris Boncimino; Senior Vice President, Head of Innovation & Design, Asia Pacific Visa Worldwide
- Sopnendu Mohanty; Chief FinTech Officer, Monetary Authority of Singapore
- Mikko S. Niemelä; Chief Executive Officer, Cyber Intelligence House
- Carlos Quaderi; Enterprise Director, Microsoft Asia Pacific
- Joydeep Sangupta; Senior Partner McKinsey & Company
- Robin Speculand; Founder & CEO, Bridges Business Consultancy Int
Level: Intermediate Cost: SGD 3990 excluding GST. With GST, SGD 4,269
5. SP – FinTech Fundamentals Programme
This course is meant to provide a comprehensive understanding of some of the key concepts, business models and technologies of the FinTech and Blockchain sectors. It seeks to aid participants in pursuing a career or progressing their trajectory in emerging areas in the Financial Services industry. Through exploring the necessary Fintech knowledge and set of skills, it will enable students to better understand the digitalised finance services industry. Some of the technologies studies will include Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies, Cloud Computing, Big Data and Machine Learning.
Advantages: It will be imparted throughout 60 hours split into 12 sessions of presential classes and the final project consists of a hackathon to assess the knowledge gained across the different modules in this programme.
Level: Applicants should have a Polytechnic Diploma or Degree in Information Technology, Business or any other relevant disciplines. Applicants should have working knowledge on FinTech and must have a Polytechnic Diploma or Degree in Information Technology, Business or any other relevant discipline.
Cost: Ranges from SGD387.20 to SGD3424.00 depending on applicable discounts
Certificate: Certificate of Performance (electronic Certificate)
6. SUSS – Graduate Diploma in Financial Technology
Offered by the School of Business at the Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) this diploma aims to help finance professionals gain knowledge of Fintech and upskill themselves to be able to meet work challenges presented by emerging technologies, arising disruptive business models, and changes in processes, products and applications which are shifting the financial services industry. Please consider that applicants must be a Singapore citizen, permanent resident or a resident in Singapore (e.g., Employment Pass holder) in order to apply.
Advantages: Students who have graduated with GCFT are entitled to course credit recognition when they further enroll into GDFT and MFIN programmes, in alignment with the nation’s emphasis on stackable credentials. Also applicants with social outreach or volunteering experience have an additional advantage.
Level: Bachelor’s degree required
Cost: $14,124 for Singapore Citizens and PR’s ; $16,948.80 for Other Residents
Certificate: Graduate Diploma
7. IFF Training – Understanding FinTech & Cryptocurrencies Training Course
The course is designed to provide a comprehensive overview for people either working in or interested in innovating in this space creating products and access to services supported by technology. The course will also cover blockchain, digital signatures and cryptocurrencies and the underlying mechanisms.
Advantages: Course module is completely virtual and will be uploaded weekly, so that learners can go at their own pace, whilst an instructor will still be available to provide assistance
- Petros Geroulanos
Cost: £1799 plus VAT = £2158.80
Certificate: CPD Certified
8. Nanyang Technological University – Master of Science in Financial Technology
This masters programme is hosted by the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. The curriculum provides participants with the necessary FinTech skills for understanding the transforming finance industry landscape. Built on AI, data science, and information technology, the focus for this master is in the emerging technologies that are disrupting the finance sector, including automation and blockchain tech.
- Prospective Singaporean students for this course are eligible for the Financial Specialist Scholarship (FSS), offered by the Institute of Banking & Finance.
- Includes an internship or research-based project as part of the curriculum
Level: Bachelor’s degree is required
- Singapore citizens: S$35,000 + prevailing GST
- Singapore Permanent Residents and International Students: S$ 55,000 + Prevailing GST
Certificate: Graduate Diploma
Which is the best fintech course for you in Singapore?
When choosing the right course for you, there are plenty of points to evaluate. It will truly depend on each learner, and the convenience, price range, level of education, and quality you are looking for.
If you are more advanced and looking to further your higher education, the masters programmes would be the best option for you for a Fintech programme. If you are looking for something more short term and easily accessible to begin with, one of the online courses will be a better choice.
One thing is certain: it is vital to learn Fintech to progress in the banking and finance sector, and Singapore is supporting this training now more than ever with its COVID-19 care packages.
If you want to begin learning today about Fintech and ensure you are gaining a solid foundation, waste no more time and check out CFTE’s Fintech Foundation Course. Subsidized by the IBF, participants are offered 95% off the original course value. You can also build your fundamental knowledge in fintech through short daily courses provided in CFTE’s Fintech 360 programme, which you can start learning for free by starting your free trial on CFTE’s THINK Platform.
Another CFTE course subsidized by the IBF, is our AI in Finance Course which is for anyone interested in AI applications in finance.
Start learning about Fintech today
When it comes to learning, there is no second to waste. Start learning about Fintech today with our expert-led course. Singaporeans and PRs get it almost for free!