Is Blackrock Blockchain ETF really about blockchain?

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on email
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on email

BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager, has launched a new exchange-traded fund (ETF) with exposure to the blockchain industry on Sept. 27, called the iShares Blockchain Technology UCITS ETF. For the blockchain industry, it is a good sign as a whole, and shows that there is more and more interest from retail investors towards this industry.

What are the main holdings of Blackrock’s Blockchain ETF?

Most people think that this fund will give direct exposure to blockchain companies, with “75% of its holdings consist of blockchain companies such as miners and exchanges, while the other 25% are companies that support the blockchain ecosystem.” as mentioned by Blackrock. In brief, the fund includes 35 global companies out of a total of 50 holdings, which also includes fiat cash and derivatives, but does not directly invest in cryptocurrencies.

Is it true? We looked at the companies in the fund and here is what we have found:

  1. While the fund was introduced as blockchain-heavy fund, out of 35 holdings only 18.86% are companies actively involved in blockchain activities :
  • Coinbase – 13.20%
  • Galaxy Digital Holdings Ltd 4.53%
  • Sbi Holdings Inc 0.57%
  • Robinhood Markets Inc 0.56%

2. Almost ⅓ of companies in the fund are mainly doing blockchain-related activities such as blockchain mining. Even if those companies are supporting the blockchain ecosystem, however they are still not completely classified as blockchain companies in the ecosystem. Here are the percentages of mining companies in the fund:

  • Block Inc 11.40%
  • Canaan Adr 4.69%
  • Marathon Digital Holdings Inc 11.13%
  • Riot Blockchain Inc 10.50%

3. The last third part of the fund consists of cash/derivatives and informational technology (IT) companies which have no direct link with blockchain industry such as Paypal, IBM etc.

  • Paypal 4.27%
  • IBM 4.10%
  • Nvidia Corp 3.98%
  • Advanced Micro Devices Inc 3.64%
  • Wolters Kluwer Nv 3.23%

While Blackrock’s Blockchain ETF is not a 100% blockchain ETFs yet, we can see that as a positive trend for the industry. However, it also shows that blockchain remains a difficult field to invest in for today’s investors – if it’s not in the cryptocurrencies themselves!

ETFs, blockchain, stocks… These keywords might scare you off a bit. But the good news is you can learn about what’s trending with CFTE’s THINK platform! Learn what ETFs are and their benefits, along with crypto trends, with Roxane Sanguinetti, Head of strategy at GHCO. Start now, it’s free!

Learn the skills of Fintech

Learn the skills of Fintech

More To Explore

Frequently Asked Questions

The Centre for Finance, Technology & Entrepreneurship (CFTE) is a global education platform that aims to equip financial professionals and organisations with the necessary skills to remain competitive in a rapidly changing industry. Our leading training programmes, curated by global industry experts, help talent build skills to join the digital revolution in finance. CFTE’s courses are globally recognised with accreditations from ACT, IBF, CPD, SkillsFuture and ABS.

At CFTE, our mission resonates with every learner’s goals to rapidly advance in their career, to thrive in their next project or even to lead the disruption in finance with their own venture. To help you do this, CFTE gives you the tools you need to master the right skills in digital finance. We bring exclusive insights from leaders that are steering the developments in the financial sphere from global CEOs to disruptive entrepreneurs. With CFTE you don’t just learn what’s in the books, you live the experience by grasping real-world applications.

If you are looking for rich insights into how the Financial Technology arena is transforming from within, we can help you get the latest knowledge that will stir things up in your career. CFTE offers leading online programmes in digital finance, covering an expanse of topics like – Payments, AI, Open Banking, Platforms, Fintech, Intrapreneurship and more, that will help you conquer the financial technology landscape. With this expertise at your disposal, you will be on track to turbocharge your career.

You will be learning from a curated line-up of industry leaders, experts, and entrepreneurs hailing from Fortune 500 companies and Tech Unicorns, among others. They will each be presenting their knowledge and experience in the field of digital finance. No matter if you are embarking on a new journey or fortifying your role, these lecturers and guest experts will guide you through the perspective of established institutions like – Starling Bank, Wells Fargo, tech giants like – Google, IBM, successful startups such as – Kabbage or Plaid, among many more!